Progress of Russian fisheries in North and Central East Atlantic in early January 2021
In early January 2021 the Russian fleets were harvesting cod, haddock and other species, reports Megafishnet.com.
According to Fishnet.ru, the total catch by 10 January 2021 amounted to 20,300 metric tons, one third of which was contributed by the vessels coming from Kaliningrad-led West Fisheries.
Bottom trawl fishery in the Barents Sea
Bottom trawl fishery in the Barents Sea was conducted by up to 54 medium and 14 small vessels coming from Murmansk-led Northern Basin, along with 2 Kaliningrad trawlers and one from Saint Petersburg. The trawlers were operating in the three areas of the sea:
- in the Russian EEZ - 5,200 tonnes of fish (45% of the total catch in early January), including 2,800 tonnes of cod, 2,100 tonnes of haddock, 100 tonnes of flounder, 100 tonnes of saithe and 100 tonnes of other fish species;
- in the Norwegian EEZ – 4,700 tonnes (41%), including 4,300 tonnes of cod, 100 tonnes of sea cat and haddock each, and 200 tonnes of other fish species;
- in the Spitsbergen area – 1,500 tonnes (14%), including 1,000 tonnes of cod, 300 tonnes of haddock and 200 tonnes of other fish species.
Longline fishery in the Barents Sea
Bottom fish longline fishery in the Barents Sea was conducted by 5 vessels from the North Fisheries and 1 vessel from St. Petersburg. Mainly, longlines were set in the Russian zone (73% of the catch during the period under analysis), and the remaining share of the catch was contributed by the Norwegian EEZ (27%). The total longline catch in the Barents Sea on 1-10 January 2021 amounted to 500 tonnes of cod (76%), sea cat (15%), haddock (5%), halibut (1%) and other fish species (3%).
Northern Blue whiting
In early January 2020 one trawler from Kaliningrad and one from Murmansk were operating on the blue whiting grounds in the Faroese fishing zone. The fishery situation was weak, and catches totalled 400 tonnes of blue whiting (Russia’s quota in the area – 82,000 tonnes). The respective result of last year was three times higher – 1,300 tonnes.
TSM Oma trawler coming from Murmansk continued fishing for gurnard and haddock near Rockall. From 1 to 10 January 2021 the vessel harvesting 116 tonnes of fish, of which gurnard made up ca.84% and haddock – 13% and other fish – 3%.
As of 1 January 2020 Murmansk-based Novaya zemlya trawler started the dedicated fishery for redfish in the Northwest Atlantic (NAFO regulatory area, 3LN). During the first ten days of the year the fishermen harvested ca.115 tonnes of mostly redfish (87%).
In Mauritania EEZ, two trawlers from Kaliningrad and two trawlers from the Far East were engaged in the pelagic trawl fishery. The fishing situation remained uneven, Kaliningrad fishermen continued reporting a large bycatch of non-targeted species such as pomfret, tuna, mullet, etc. Far Eastern trawlers caught mostly horse mackerel, and their catch rates exceeded those of Kaliningrad fishermen three times.
The Russian catches in the Mauritanian waters in early January amounted to 1,600 tonnes (+900 tonnes YOY), of which horse mackerel accounted for 73%, mackerel – 2%, sardine – 1% and bycatch of other fish species - 24%.
In the southeastern part of the Baltic Sea up to 28 small Kaliningrad vessels started hunting for small herrings. The fishery situation was fairly good, and pelagic trawlers had a success on the Baltic sprat grounds. Through the first ten days of January the fleet harvested 4323 tonnes of most sprat (90%) and Baltic herring (10%). There was also a small by-catch of cod, ca.500 tonnes namely.
In the Gulf of Finland in the Baltic Sea up to 8 small trawlers coming from the West Fisheries were targeting Baltic herring as of 3 January 2021. The fishery conditions were good as well. The total catch from the year start was 799 tonnes of mostly herring (97%) with sprat contributing the remaining 3%.
For copyright please write to email@example.com.